Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Looks like I’m a single man again

In previous postings, I may or may not have forgotten to mention I started dating a Chinese girl. Well I was. That’s about it…. Just kidding. It was short lived, granted I shouldn’t have dove into the relationship in the first place. Feel like an international stud (kidding again), I realized women are about the same. The only difference is the level of a particular aspect. For instance attention, girls love that crap regardless of what you may say. Girls love it.

But, Chinese women or Chinese society is much more practical about love and dating. There’s a saying in Chinese which roughly applies to this 门当对户,basically means the man/woman are equal on your economic and social status. Wait, there’s more, they also believe in  (destiny), so I find this as a contradiction in Chinese culture. You want to be happy but the “right one” has to be in the right social class and make enough money. What?!

Dating isn’t easy in China unless you got money, then I think it a bit easier because of the above mentioned. Remember money=happiness to some people. So back to the story, when I decide to date this girl, I made sure she’s understood that I had no moneys and I was leaving in 6 months. Let’s look at the equation. ME=no money + no 缘分, yet still she was willing to date me. Apparently I’m just a nice guy, and nice guys don’t finish last in China. A win for the nice guys.

There’s something else I think about when looking dating here; I often worry that some girls just like me because I’m an ABC (American Born Chinese), a fast pass to a green card. Oh, green card = money, and money = happiness, so green card = happiness; transitive property.

If you have been keeping up with my Blogs, when I first got here I entered into an arranged relationship. At first it was a joke, but apparently she might be serious. Recently she said that she was coming to the city I’m interning at, and that if things are right, 缘分,then we should do a Las Vegas style marriage. Here’s some background in easy terms, Me= no money + American + 缘分 (?), Her=money +缘分, so I might work?

Thing is… I started to see someone else here, but that’s another blog.

Until next time

-MC


No comments:

Post a Comment