Sunday, March 2, 2014

Shenzhen Update

Hello everyone,

First and most important, for those of you who have seen the news about the Kunming train station incident. I am not located in Kunming but I do have three friends interning there. The three of them are safe and unharmed.  Thoughts go out to the families effected by this tragic event.

I've been in Shenzhen for three weeks now, and slowly getting used to work life and the new environment I'm in. I can see why a lot of graduates working now, envy us college kids. Working is not fun. I often take for granted that I'm not constrained to a work schedule and that I haven't "officially" grown up yet.  Taxes, overtime, mid-crisis these are the thing I have to look forward to when I graduate next year.

About the internship, I'm a marketing intern at Morningstar. Basically I hang out with marketing and do things that doesn't disturb the normal workflow, I try to add efficiencies by doing translation work and simple research reports. Later in March I'll be going to Shanghai for an awards conference, that I helped assist in organizing. One less fun sides of working here is that I don't have much to do, and I feel weird asking, so I do a lot of researching and stock studying. But, I consider that a plus most days. Overall, it's not a bad gig, clean office, bathrooms that smell like mangos, and cute girls. I can't complain too much.
(A little bit of home at the office)

I recently registered for the LiNing 10k in Shenzhen. LiNing is the Chinese Nike. I'm really hoping to challenge myself by running a sub 45, and finish in the top 10%. Training has not been the best cause of working during the day, and by the time I get home its dark and not having set routes it's a bit on the risky side to run randomly. I really don't want to get into the mentality of "oh you ran a marathon, 10k is a walk in the park." I really miss my running buddy Maddie, she's the person you love to hate when it comes to training :).

Not much other news from this side, besides getting a custom suit made. I'm gonna be looking so sharp when I get back to the states.

Until next time

-Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment